This course is designed for Veterinary Nurses and Technicians and covers how to assess an emergency feline patient, shock and fluid therapy, specific critical emergencies, and a module on critical care nursing.
The course will cover the following modules:
Module 1: Assessment of the feline emergency patient
This first module is all about the initial assessment and triage of emergency cases, understanding how to assess the major body systems. You will be introduced to the emergency database and its components together with the principles of focussed ultrasound.
Module 2: Shock and fluid therapy
Here we look at identifying and classifying shock and aspects of fluid therapy. This includes assessing dehydration and calculating fluid requirements. This module will also cover blood transfusion and how to monitor patients receiving blood products and the complications which may arise.
Module 3: Specific emergencies
This module will cover common emergencies involving body systems i.e. cardiovascular, respiratory, neurological, gastrointestinal, endocrine, urinary and reproductive. The module will take you through the treatment and management of each. Finally, the module will also look at the common causes of intoxication.
Module 4: Critical care nursing
The final module will cover both monitoring and nursing. Techniques and equipment for monitoring will be covered as well as specific parameters for critical cases. Anaesthetic risk, pain scoring charts and analgesia drugs will be covered and finally the principles of infection control.
The course has been written by feline emergency and critical care experts Emily Thomas BA VetMB DACVECC DECVECC MRCVS, Sarah Collins DipAVN(Medical)RVN VTS(ECC) Cert CFH CFVHNut and Denise Prisk DipAVN(Surgical)RVN VTS (Anaesthesia & Analgesia) LTCL LCGI.
- 9 hours of CPD.
- On-Demand - Instant access to start the course as soon as you have completed your purchase.
- Self-Paced - Allows you to study at your own pace without set deadlines.
- Online - Study at a time and place that suits you on a user-friendly learning platform.
- Test your knowledge - At the end of each module, there is a short quiz which you need to pass to move on to the next module.
- Access for 3 months - from the date of your purchase to complete the course.
- Downloadable Certificate - you will receive an instant downloadable certificate
- Payment online via debit or credit card (no invoice option for this course).
Please check you have understood, and you meet all advertised prerequisites for the course. Please also read the terms and conditions for our distance education courses.
> Online Courses – Prerequisites
> Online Courses – Terms and Conditions
If you have any questions about the course or the enrolment process, please contact email@example.com